No products in the cart.
Carraigin moss remedy for a cough
This soothing Carraigin drink has anti viral properties and also shifts phlegm from the chest.
For the remedy you will need:
1 closed fistful of dried carraigin moss seaweed (8-10g)
700 mls cold water (1 1/4 pints)
1 knob of fresh or frozen ginger
juice of a lemon
local honey to taste
dash of whiskey optional
1. Place the carriagin and water in a saucepan and allow the carraigin to soak for at least 20 minutes to soften it.
2. Cover saucepan and bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes. Ginger can be grated into saucepan half way through or chopped and added at the end once liquid has been strained.
3. Strain the liquid thru a sieve into a jug or large jam jar and push the gelling material through the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon to get as much liquid through as possible. Discard the contents of the sieve to compost.
4. Stir in some honey if using and allow to cool. Once cool add lemon juice and zest ,if lemon is organic. Cover the jug and store in the fridge.
5. To make a soothing drink put a few tablespoons of the carraigin, ginger, lemon and honey mixture in a tumbler glass and add boiling water.
Sip this drink 2-3 times per day until the cough is gone. A dash of whiskey can be added to the last one before bedtime!